BREAKING NEWS
The news is by your side.

Abongile Mafalala: Murder case of e-hailing driver back in court

14


The case of murdered e-hailing driver Abongile Mafalala is back in court after his brutal killing allegedly by Parkwood community members.

The case of the murder of e-hailing driver Abongile Mafalala is back in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, 23 June. Mafalala, 32, was allegedly killed by a group of Parkwood residents who turned on him at the end of May.

11 people including a 15-year-old are facing charges of murder

An angry mob believed that Mafalala was involved in alleged abductions in the city and attacked him. At the last court appearance on 13 June, 11 people appeared in the dock.

Among those 11 people was a 15-year-old boy. The teenager was released into the care of his parents on 13 June but he is still charged with the murder of Mafalala.

The 11 accused individuals are facing charges of robbery with aggravating circumstances and malicious damage to property as well as murder. The court case was remanded to 23 June for an advocate from the Director of Public Prosecution’s office to handle the matter, reports EWN.

What happened to Malafala?

Mafalala was assaulted and set alight in Parkwood. This followed fake news that was spread through social media claiming that children in the area were being kidnapped.

The 32-year-old’s vehicle’s battery, subwoofer and other items were stolen before it was also set alight. The items have since been recovered. SAPS revealed that Malafala and two other men were driving in Parkwood in a Toyota Avanza.

Community members stopped the vehicle before setting it alight. The two other people in the vehicle escaped and were able to flee the scene.

Two other men who were travelling in the same vehicle as Mafalala managed to escape and flee the scene. Photo: @LiberalsAreNaiv / Twitter

Spike in kidnapping fake news

It was previously reported that Warrant Officer Swartbooi told The South African that the attack bore no relevance to kidnapping or attempted kidnapping in the area and said community members were riled up by fake news on social media.

The Western Cape police said it noted with concern various social media posts about kidnappings and abductions in the Cape Town metro and outlying areas.

“It is on this basis, as a law enforcement agency, that we wish to caution social media users against posting of unverified information about kidnappings/abductions. Since the launch of the National Child Protection week, the SAPS has observed false accounts of child kidnappings/abductions,”

said Swartbooi.

Read the full story here.



Leave a comment